I am a December Baby and a pure Sag.. During my childhood days, I do not remember me having a birthday cake as my parents did not believed in it.. My birthdays (my star birthday) started with a hot shower and a trip to temple and lots of sweet.. My date of birth was more like flurry of wishes at midnight (after my 9th standard), new dress to wear to school (the only day we were allowed to wear color dress in school. College was a different issue, it was more like looking the most beautiful of the place), distributing chocolates to class mates and friends, having a fun time in all..
After I came to Buffalo, NY., my cake tradition started. Here I am now, celebrating my third birthday in USA, a lot of things have changed.. I did not go to a temple on my birthday as I was either reading for my exams or was sleeping soundly as I had pulled an all nighter the day before. Also, new dress on the birthday sounds laughable now. And I dont want to spend my birthdays alone anymore. I wanted some trustworthy friends around me who cared. Well, I got my wish :)
My current land lady has become one of my best friend I ever had and I am so so so glad that I moved in with her. Believe it or not, she knows what to say when I am sad, mad, happy or what not.. So, last Sunday, she was baking a cake to practice and I was sitting in the kitchen, tasting the ingredients. Half way through, she suddenly mentioned that I cannot eat it after she finished baking as she would be saving the cake for my Birthday. My mind froze. That was the first ever time someone is baking me a cake. I wanted to skip over and give her a big hug but hey, my mind was really really numb. So I just sat there looking at the cake being baked.
And it turned out really delicious..
The best part? It was completely gluten free! It even had a hint of rum because of the fermentation of brown rice flour used in it.. I simply loved it and would have finished the cake had I not already been stuffed with her mom's lovely cooking. To say least, I feel as if my dear friend, her daughter, her mom and dad has brought in a refreshing change in my monotonous life. I am grateful for that.
Last but not the least, my friend is maintaining a Gluten-Free blog and has been updating seriously tasty recipes for some time now.. Please visit her blog and show her some love..!
After I came to Buffalo, NY., my cake tradition started. Here I am now, celebrating my third birthday in USA, a lot of things have changed.. I did not go to a temple on my birthday as I was either reading for my exams or was sleeping soundly as I had pulled an all nighter the day before. Also, new dress on the birthday sounds laughable now. And I dont want to spend my birthdays alone anymore. I wanted some trustworthy friends around me who cared. Well, I got my wish :)
My current land lady has become one of my best friend I ever had and I am so so so glad that I moved in with her. Believe it or not, she knows what to say when I am sad, mad, happy or what not.. So, last Sunday, she was baking a cake to practice and I was sitting in the kitchen, tasting the ingredients. Half way through, she suddenly mentioned that I cannot eat it after she finished baking as she would be saving the cake for my Birthday. My mind froze. That was the first ever time someone is baking me a cake. I wanted to skip over and give her a big hug but hey, my mind was really really numb. So I just sat there looking at the cake being baked.
And it turned out really delicious..
The best part? It was completely gluten free! It even had a hint of rum because of the fermentation of brown rice flour used in it.. I simply loved it and would have finished the cake had I not already been stuffed with her mom's lovely cooking. To say least, I feel as if my dear friend, her daughter, her mom and dad has brought in a refreshing change in my monotonous life. I am grateful for that.
Last but not the least, my friend is maintaining a Gluten-Free blog and has been updating seriously tasty recipes for some time now.. Please visit her blog and show her some love..!

No comments:
Post a Comment